- Planned development of Delhi is the main function of DDA under Sections 7 - 11A of the DD Act of 1957.
- Planning Department of DDA is one the largest team of the town planners in any Development Authority in the country.
- This Department prepare plans, policies and proposals for guiding Delhi's planned development through the process of Master Plan, Zonal Plans, Action Area Plans and Urban Extension Projects etc.
- The plans normally include city level plans, sub-city level plans, comprehensive traffic and transportation plan, circulation network plans, traffic management schemes, environment management schemes etc.
- The sanctioning of building plans in the areas under DDA's jurisdiction is also dealt in Planning Department.
- Some of the major achievements of Planning Department towards planned development of Delhi are as follows: